10.08.2011

• AUTUMN ROASTED SQUASH •


Roasted squash is a perfect autumn comfort food.  We decided to use two different varieties of squash and roast it to perfection. It was easy, satisfying and embodies the deliciousness of fall.
  
BROWN SUGAR ROASTED ACORN & BUTTERNUT SQUASH

One of my favorite things growing up was this recipe! We usually had it right at the beginning of fall (my absolute favorite time of year);it just smells and tastes like cooler weather, turning leaves and crisp air. 

It's great as a side dish or on it's own and it's also kid-friendly - at least my son loves it. I just put a little butter, brown sugar and orange juice in the middle of the squash and roast it for about an hour basting a few times along the way. Super easy and of course, delicious! 
Side note: I'm thinking about serving this as a side dish for Thanksgiving this year - each person getting their own personal half of an acorn squash with a little stuffing inside. I'll keep you updated and let you know how it goes.


Really depends on what you're serving this with; we had roast chicken with lemon and sage, so we had Pinot Gris (from Sweetcheeks!) - delicious.




As most of you know, I'm a sucker for motown. I posted this link previously, but I need to share it again because it's genius. I love love love this band and especially this song. My dream would be to have a 60's motown themed party and have them play live !!

STUFFED ACORN SQUASH { W/WILD RICE }
I was flipping through the latest issue of Everyday Food and was inspired to make this dish after seeing Mario Batali's version of Stuffed Acorn Squash.  It looked delicious and healthy.  

I've actually never eaten acorn squash prior to making this dish, but I do love squash of all sorts, so I was rather confident that it would make a scrumptious meal for a cool autumn evening.  

***WARNING: cutting open an acorn squash is no easy task, especially for a weakling like me, so I have a tip for those of you who may not have incredible upper body strength.  Pierce the acorn squash by making slits around the raw squash and microwave it for about 2 - 3 minutes (you could also place it in your preheated oven for about 10 minutes), let it cool, then cut through it.  It is much, much easier!!! That's something chefs like Mario Batali forget to mention in their recipe write-up.
It should take approximately 45 minutes to an hour to roast your squash.  While it is roasting, you can work on your filling.  I jazzed up my wild rice mixture with a dab of Earth Balance, some roasted garlic, walnuts, and topped it off with a sprinkling of Pecorino - Romano cheese.
I found this to be the main feature of my dinner plate, so I decided to serve it with a side of a sunflower sprouts salad.  Sunflower sprouts are delicious and healthy and taste perfect along side some golden cherry tomatoes and dried cranberries.  The salad is also absolutely beautiful to look at.
I enjoyed a nice glass of Bordeaux with my hearty acorn squash.
Comforting food, comforting tunes...
1)  Charles Bradley:  How Long
2)  Tony Bennett & Aretha Franklin:  How Do You Keep the Music Playing
3)  Billie Holiday:  There Is No Greater Love
4)  Gladys Knight & the Pips:  Midnight Train to Georgia
5)  Henry Mancini:  Moon River

• • • Pin It• • • 

3 comments:

  1. I'm gonna try both versions! I make sweet potatoes similar to the sweet version and they are one of my favorite sides for Thanksgiving. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment on my blog! Roasted squash is my favorite fall food. Only, the acorn squash I'm getting this year seems to be rather pale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we were fortunate to find some good acorn squash at a local farmer's market.

    ReplyDelete