9.23.2011

• THE BEST { AND OUR FAVORITE } ZESTY ENCHILADA SAUCE •

Okay, are we over-hyping the sauce? We don't think so; it's pretty darn delicious. In fact, so delicious that we both decided to use the same sauce recipe for our enchiladas - and it didn't come out of a can! Imagine that!  And who doesn't love enchiladas?!  They're a great option for meat-eaters and vegetarians. 

Just in case you're unfamiliar with the variety of chiles we used, this is what you should be looking for at the market:


VEGGIE ENCHILADAS 
I grew up eating enchiladas.  They're one of my favorite things to make and in reality, I consider them a comfort food.  

There are a few different ways you can make enchiladas but I decided to roll mine and fill them with some veggie goodness: spinach, mushrooms, and added a bit of mozzarella cheese to half of the batch.  For the vegans out there, you don't have to add the mozzarella cheese or you can substitute the mozzarella for some melting vegan friendly cheese like Daiya.  
If you want to roll your enchiladas you can choose to fry your tortilla or warm them before putting them in the enchilada sauce. I lightly fried my tortillas then dunked them in the sauce.  Then I filled them with my veggies and rolled them up.  It's a simple as that.  
You have to work quickly so your tortillas don't break apart, but once you get a hang of it, the time goes rather quickly.  Oh and don't forget to be generous with the sauce!
Michelada: a cold Mexican beer with lime and salt
I enjoyed these enchiladas on September 16th, Mexican Independence Day, so I had to include some of my favorite musica en espanol...
1) Los Tigres del Norte w/Paulina Rubio:  Golpes en el Corazon
2) Cafe Tacuba:  El Rio
3) Luis Miguel:  Inolvidable
4) Lila Downs:  Cielo Rojo 
5) Lola Beltran: Corazon, Corazon
I usually layer my enchiladas for a couple of reasons: one, it's easier (I'm often time-pressed during the week); two, I haven't quite mastered the skill of rolling the tortillas without cracking them.  

So I roasted some chicken and threw it together with sauteed onions, fresh corn, yellow and red bell peppers and cheese. Pretty easy and of course, delicious. I should also note that I throw a little flour into the sauteed veggies and then added a bit of stock to make the filling into more of a sauce. Muy deliciosa.


I'm with Monica on this one; definitely a Mexican beer, although I'll suggest Tecate - ice cold, with lime and salt.

1) Ruben Blades: Pedro Navaja (para mi amor)
2) Ozomatli: Cumbia de los Muertos
3) Ozomatli: Como Ves (couldn't leave this one out)
4) Carlos Vives: Fruta Fresca
5) Los Fabulosos Cadillacs: Revolution Rock
••• Pin It•••  

6 comments:

  1. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when you layer them, do you put some enchilada sauce in each layer along with the filling, or just on the top? :) just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ivy! When I layer them, I warm my tortilla first (you don't have to fry it, if you don't want to), dunk it in the sauce and then layer accordingly..you can also add extra sauce to each layer if needed/preferred.

    Hope this helps!
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, looks so awesome. I think I will have to have a mexican night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started drooling when I saw those pics. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete